I. Overview on the relevant processing activities
The following summary provides you with a quick overview on our use of personal information. You may find more details under the indicated sections below.
- When you visit our website without using any specific functions (e.g. submitting an application for an open position, using the contact form), we will use only limited personal information to provide you with the secure use of the website itself (for details, see Section II).
- You have the possibility to contact us, e.g. via our contact form or by sending us an email. We will use your contact data as well as additional information you may have provided to process your request and respond respectively. For more information, please see Section III.
- In case you decide to submit an application for an open position, we will use your contact data as well as the information included in your application to review your application (for details, see Section IV). You may also find detailed information on our career site.
- We use some of your user data (e.g. device information, information on the use of the website) to analyze user behavior via Google Analytics and, based on the results, to make decisions regarding product and marketing optimization (for details, see Section V).
- We also – unintentionally – collect personal information when gathering video data as a basis to develop maps for autonomous driving. This information is not actually used by us but will be deleted as soon as the video feeds are transformed into the map data (for details, see Section VI).
- In the course of the processing activities outlined above, your personal information may be disclosed to third parties or service providers who support us in performing the activities. Where necessary, we take reasonable steps to safeguard the transfer to these recipients (for details, see Section VII).
- We will store the personal information we collect about you for the time necessary to pursue the original purpose. Afterwards, we will delete your information, unless we are legally entitled or obliged to further retention (for details, see Section VIII).
- Depending on where you live, you may be entitled to exercise certain rights with regard to the use of your personal information, including but not limited to the right to information, access, and deletion (for details, see Sections IX and X).
II. What information do we use when you visit our website?
When you visit our website without (i) interacting with any of the available functions (e.g. the contact form) or (ii) otherwise providing us with personal information, we may still collect information about you, which is automatically recognized by our server, i.e. the browser type and browser version, operating system used, referrer URL, host name of the accessing computer, time of service request, and IP address. While possible, we generally do not infer your general location information, for example by using your IP address. We need this information to enable the secure use of our website, for example by adapting the website to the needs of your device and preventing disruptions in the use of the offer – thus to provide our service to you. This is also in line with our interests in providing secure access to our website. We assume that the problem-free use of the website is also in your interest.
III. What information do we use when you contact us?
If you send us inquiries via the website based contact form or otherwise contact us (e.g. via email), we will use your email address as well as the content of the message and information you voluntarily provide to process your inquiry. Without this information, we are not able to properly respond to your request. Thus, we need the personal information to provide the requested service to you.
IV. What information do we use when you submit a job application?
When you submit a job application, we will use your name, address, email address, phone, resume, CV, cover letter and any other information you provide us within your application to assess whether you are a suitable candidate for one of our open positions. Without such information, we would not be able to evaluate your candidacy. In the course of the application process, we may disclose your information with other entities in our company group as we have a legitimate interest to be able to discuss and assess your candidacy for the open position. The use of the personal information is justified as it is necessary in order to take steps prior to eventually entering into a contract.
Once the application process has been completed and we have not chosen you as an employee, your documents will be deleted or destroyed six months after communicating our decision. If we offer you an employment with us, we will store the information necessary for your employment with DeepMap. The other documents will be deleted respectively, unless we are legally obliged or entitled to retain the information.
V. How are you affected by the functions we use to analyze the use on our website?
This website uses functions of the web analytics service Google Analytics by Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA. Google Analytics uses so-called cookies. The information generated by the cookie about your use of this website is generally transmitted to a Google server in the United States and stored there. The corresponding evaluation of your surfing behavior is made available to us in anonymized form. We have a legitimate interest in analyzing user behavior in order to optimize both our web website and our advertising.
VI. How and for what purpose do we collect video data?
We take video feeds from streets and roads around the world in order to develop maps for autonomous driving. For this purpose, we have cameras installed on cars. We may collect the video data for our own purposes as well as specifically on behalf of a customer.
In the course of collecting the video data, we generally do not intend to collect any personal information. However, we cannot fully prevent our video feeds from containing information such as images of natural persons, images of license plates, and/or images of buildings, which the car with the camera passes while taking the recordings. Thus, our unintended use of information is effectively unavoidable as we collect the raw data necessary for our development of maps. This is in line with our legitimate interests in developing and providing to our customers excellent and innovative maps for autonomous driving. To be clear, our final maps for autonomous driving do not contain any personal information.
Nevertheless, although any personal information included in the video raw data is a “by-product” we cannot avoid, we take several measures to limit any adverse effects for individuals who may be inadvertently included in these recordings. These measures include restricting the number of people that have access to the raw data internally as well as externally, technical measures to secure information (e.g. data encryption, using firewalls, etc.), as well as limiting the time personal information is retained at all.
VII. Who will receive your information and where are the recipients located?
Other than the scenarios outlined above, we may share your personal information with service providers and third parties to pursue the purposes mentioned above. We may also disclose your personal information with your permission.
Within the scope of our sharing activities set out above, your personal information may be transferred to other countries, which may have different data protection standards than your country of residence. Please note that the use of personal information in a foreign country may be subject to foreign laws and accessible to foreign governments, courts, law enforcement, and regulatory agencies. Thus, we take respective safeguards to ensure an adequate data protection level at the seat of the recipient. For more information on these measures please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIII. How long will we retain your personal information?
If your personal information is no longer required for the above-mentioned purposes, it will be deleted, provided, that there are no further legal retention obligations or that we are otherwise entitled to retain your personal information for a longer period of time.
IX. Additional information for individuals located in the European Union and the European Economic Area
If you are located in the European Union or the European Economic Area the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) may apply when we use your personal information as outlined above. Therefore, we would like to provide you some additional information on the legal bases justifying our use of your personal information as well as your rights as a data subject.
- Legal bases under the GDPR
The activities including the use of personal information outlined above are based on the following legal bases:
- Personal information we use when you visit our website (see Section II): Performance of a contract (Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. b GDPR) and legitimate interests in providing secure access to our website (Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. f GDPR).
- Personal information we use when you contact us (seeSection III): Performance of a contract (Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. b GDPR) and legitimate interests in timely responding to requests submitted by individuals (Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. f GDPR).
- Personal information we use when you submit a job application (see Section IV): Performance of a contract (Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. b GDPR).
- Personal information we use to analyze the use on our website (see Section V): Legitimate interests in analyzing user behavior in order to optimize both our web website and our advertising (Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. f GDPR).
- Personal information we use when collecting video data (see Section VI): Legitimate interests in developing and providing to our customers excellent and innovative maps for autonomous driving (Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. f GDPR).
- Personal information we share with service providers and third parties (see Section VII): The engagement of service providers is privileged under Art. 28 GDPR. We conclude respective processing agreements with these service providers. Where we are legally obliged to share personal information, e.g. with authorities, this is justified under Art. 6 (1) 1 lit. c or f GDPR in conjunction with the respective legal obligation. Where the legal obligation does not derive from a law of a EU member state we still have a legitimate interest to comply.
- What are your rights regarding the information we use?
You have the following data protection rights, depending on the circumstances of the specific case:
- Information, access, and data portability
You have the right to request information about and access to your personal information and/or copies of such information. This may include your right to have
- Deletion or restriction of use
You have a right to the rectification, blocking or deletion of your personal information, to the extent the use thereof is inadmissible under data protection law. This is the case in particular if (i) the personal information is incomplete or incorrect, (ii) it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, (iii) the consent on which the information use was based has been revoked or (iv) you have successfully exercised your right to object to the use of your personal information. In cases where the personal information is used by third parties, we will forward your requests for rectification, deletion or restriction of use to these third parties, unless this proves impossible or is associated with disproportionate efforts.
- Refusal or revocation of your consent
Where the use of personal information requires your prior consent, you may refuse consent or revoke your previously granted consent at any time. An informal communication to us via email is sufficient for this purpose. The legality of the information use carried out until the revocation shall remain unaffected by the withdrawal.
- Right to object to the use of your personal information
You have the right to object to the use of your personal information if we use it for direct marketing purposes or for the purpose of pursuing our legitimate interests and there are reasons arising from your particular situation.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority
If you believe that your rights have been violated as a result of your personal information being used in a manner that is not in compliance with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority.
- Information, access, and data portability
X. Additional information for California Residents
We do not share your personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.
XI. Third Parties
We make reasonable efforts to protect your personal information by using physical and electronic safeguards designed to improve the security of the personal information we maintain. However, as no electronic transmission or storage of information can be entirely secure, we can make no guarantees as to the security or privacy of your personal information.
XIII. Children’s Privacy
XIV. Further information
DeepMap website is designed and hosted by WordPress. WordPress’ recommended GDPR privacy notice: